Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Flowers of Sulfur and Diatomaceous Earth as Varroa control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee health: the treatment (or not) of bee pests and diseases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Flowers of Sulfur and Diatomaceous Earth as Varroa control Reply with quote

I have read on a Slovenian natural beekeeping forum that those transferring foundation bees onto natural comb use flowers of sulfur to aid with varroa issues but then after the bees have build all natural comb they stopped treating all together. According to them bees dont fair well without this Very Soft treatment during the 2 year transition from 5,4mm foundation commonly used there. They also use Perone-style (no frames or top bars) 2 deeps in Warre' size but as one deep box supered with Warre honey supers with top bars or foundationless frames.

I aslo read someplace else that some use Diatomaceous Earth for treating those colonies showing varroa infestation.

Does any one have any more info on this? Experience or links to research?

Im personally dont use any soft acids or miticides but Im not so much against sugar dusting when introducing a new swarm or even new split/or shake down. Hence me asking about these two alternatives in case hell brakes loose in my newly moved apiary to a heavy agri-environment.

Thank you
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know more about how they apply the sulphur, as I can imagine the bees treating it as they would pollen...

The action of DE is as an abrasive: "Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. " (Wikipedia)

Given that bees are arthropods, it doesn't seem like a good idea!
Robert
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DE around my feed bins, chicken coop, dust my chickens, cows, goats for pest parasite control. Around the feed bins keeps ants and other unwanteds out. I do put a ring on the ground around my hives to keep the ants out. It does kill insects so I would not use it in a Hive as I am sure it would kill bees. Just my opinion and observations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee health: the treatment (or not) of bee pests and diseases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: