Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
IMPORTANT: 10th BIRTHDAY POLL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Announcements: Read This First
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: IMPORTANT: 10th BIRTHDAY POLL Reply with quote

This forum has now, as of April 2017, been in operation for TEN YEARS!

In that time, thousands of beekeepers have exchanged information, passed on tips and learned lots of stuff. There have been many lengthy and interesting conversations. I think it has helped a lot of people to get started in beekeeping.

And over the same time, social media has developed exponentially, providing new opportunities for exchanging information and getting into arguments...

So perhaps this is a good time to think about whether it is now appropriate to archive this forum and send it to the great beehive in the sky, or continue it in an updated form, or just press on regardless.

I need your help to make this decision, so please comment below and vote!

Should I UPDATE, CLOSE, or LEAVE IT ALONE?

UPDATE - give me a better forum experience

CLOSE IT - it has outlived its usefulness

CLOSE IT - it has outlived its usefulness
Adriaan
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Biobee,

I say let the forum stay: allthough I don't reply very often, I do look for new posts on a 'nearly' daily basis. I enjoy reading them and learning from them.

A mild update might be a good idea, posting pictures seems not easy and if I read the posts on 150% (bad eyesight) the text drops of my computerscreen. But these problems are probably due to bad computerskills and antique computer.

friendly greetings

Adriaan
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phillip.

On the one hand, for myself, I most certainly would not want this forum to be wrapped up. As a previous poster just said, I come on here at least two or three times a week. But, only post, probably, an average of a post a month. Perhaps a little more. But, it has proved to be, and continues to be, an invaluable resource for me in setting myself up in beekeeping. Additionally, whilst any forum can be improved in terms of ease of use (posting pictures etc), I don't see this as a major issue on here and so am quite happy with the functionality of the site as it is.

On the other hand, I am aware of the kind of work (and cost) running a site like this involves and so would be supportive of any decision you make.

Regards

Steve Cook
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. It is the best on-line resource I know for keeping bees in a less intensive way than most.

Dave
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEEP THE FORUM!

I visit daily when I have internet access. Number of posts made is irrelevant, I still learn from others and offer help when I can. This is certainly one of the "friendlier" beekeeping forums and the best by far for less intrusive ideas. Support is second to none.

An upgrade would make it more attractive to new members who aren't yet aware of the quality of the content (and getting signatures back would be good), but I appreciate that would only come at a cost of time and money.

I would hope there would be plenty of members here who would contribute toward an upgrade. Just think of the money saved on all the books you don't need to buy!

Happy Birthday forum!
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly chuck some money into the pot
mocko
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep the forum as it is it is a valuable mine of information.
Ollie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

PLEASE keep the forum going. This is by far the best site and I check in 6 out of 7 to see and read whats going on. As a newbee I have gained a lot of valuable information and advice which I couldn't get on another site. The people who use this site are polite and helpful and the moderators take interest in our comments. Its also a site where there is no bitchy comments.

So once again PLEASE KEEP THE FORUM GOING.

Thank you for what you do.

Ollie
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

In financial terms, is this forum cost negative, cost neutral or cost positive for you?

That is to say, after taking into account both the cost of the hosting service plus the cost of your own labour maintaining it, do this site's user donations cover those costs? If not, then are you able to come up with a rough number in terms how much it falls short? If we can get an idea of that number, then we can make a realistic assessment as to how we can make it up.

I, for one, am happy to make some kind of financial contribution to keep the site going. How big that would need to be, though, would be dependent on how big any shortfall is and how many other people were willing to make a contribution as well.

Last edited by stevecook172001 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FORUM!

I'm of the same opinion as the others. The forum has been a wonderful resource for me in the past few years and a great means of passing on my own experience to help those with less. I find it amazing that you can pick up tips from people on the other side of the world and surprisingly even learn things from complete novices, who look at things without any of the preconceptions that we all acquire as we go along.

I would very much vote for the forum to remain in operation and like Steve, be prepared to contribute financially, specifically to that end if it is required.
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the forum to continue and am happy to contribute to that end.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I'm glad the response has been positive so far.

I certainly don't want to ditch it, for all the reasons already given. It's hard to say if it pays for itself, as there is no easy way to track donations specific to the links here, but all donations go into the FoB pot and are used, if not directly here, then elsewhere to benefit pollinators as per our statement of intent.

I do think an upgrade is called for, however, as this software is at least 5 years out of date and is probably exposed to hacks by now. I get quite enough Russian spam already, so more would not be welcome.

Please keep the comments coming.

Phil
Ollie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil.

The reason this site is soo successful is down to ALL the site admin staff who give their expert advice and help when called for, without them It just wouldn't be the same.

So on behalf of every user I'm sure we'd all say a very big 'Thank you for all the advice given and time spent reading all our posts, however 'silly' sometimes the questions can be (and I'm included in that one) and how repetitive they can bee also'.

So Thanks again and I say KEEP the forum running.

Its always interesting too to hear how others are managing their hives and how they are doing (the bees).

Ollie
andy pearce
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
all, despite having been a little quiet for a while (while moving, setting up a new apiary, catching swarms and of course tackling a new job) , I still log into the forum regularly. To me it is the simplicity of the format in comparison with other social media that I like. It is easy to use and a good community of people who use it.

I would like it to stay as it is, but Phil you may have other considerations that I am unaware of that ultimately sway your decision.
A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Announcements: Read This First All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: