Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
surprise bees in discarded warre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sangje
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: surprise bees in discarded warre Reply with quote

Hi any help appreciated. We very sadly stacked our warre boxes randomly (but in a tower luckily with roof and quilt on top) in the back of my garden after a good colony abandoned it from an adjoining orchard last autumn.
Just about to move house and went to move the boxes to give to a friend when to our surprise we saw pollen loaded bees going in and out of a gap between the boxes where they overlap. We have not disturbed them but are unsure what to do. Whether to carefully move them to her place more or less as they are in the night or put them in a transition box first. Advice ? Surprised
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees! Rolling Eyes So unpredictable... Very Happy Congrats on the swarm.

I don't use Warres, but:

How many boxes are they in? It will be simpler to move them as they are, just close in with ventilation and strap boxes securely together. If only two boxes, quite straightforward; four boxes a bit more difficult. Assuming you're using top-bars as per Warre plans (as opposed to frames) moving them to a different box temporarily may cause more problems unnecessarily.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes.
sangje
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much trekmate ! That reinforces our plan - we thought we would do that at the end of the week. I think they are only in the top box and they are quite small. Which throws up the next question of whether they will survive - new place and late in the season - but we have been advised to feed a lot and cross our fingers !
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are only in the top box it would be best to take the empties away. Less volume means less to patrol and maintain giving the colony a better chance. I had a small colony in a TBH going into last winter that I had little hope for. A reduced volume (follower boards around three combs) and they came through well and have expanded this year.
olriley
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there bars/frames in the box? If not have they presumably have built comb on the underside of the roof ... a bit more tricky to sort out.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekmate wrote:
If they are only in the top box it would be best to take the empties away. Less volume means less to patrol and maintain giving the colony a better chance. I had a small colony in a TBH going into last winter that I had little hope for. A reduced volume (follower boards around three combs) and they came through well and have expanded this year.

This is one difference between TBHs and Vertical hives. Insulation, or its opposite, cold air to heat up, matters much more on top and at the sides than at the bottom. So just taking boxes away underneath won't have that much effect. In fact I think I remember Bernhard recommend using empty boxes underneath as a cold air sump in particularly cold climates.

Any insulation you can get around the box with the bees in it will help. You can attach any kind of cheap insulation around the box - polysterene, reflective stuff, all the stuff that you can get from any DIY shop. Whatever you can get without actually blocking the entrance hole.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam - fully agree with you insulation comments, but I'm referring to "maintaining a strong colony" i.e. density of bees. Mid Lothian is not generally an extreme climate, especially with climate change...
John
sangje
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: surprise bees in discarded warre Reply with quote

Hi thanks everyone - yes there are bars in the top two boxes - i think as you say we will remove the bottom/surplus ones and insulate like crazy -thank you all - will let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: