friends of the bees

This forum is funded by
Friends of the Bees.
It is free to everyone, and we would appreciate a donation from those who can afford it so we can keep it free for those who cannot.

UK beekeepers join now and benefit from £5M Public Liability Insurance FREE with membership. JOIN HERE

Natural Beekeeping Forum
low-cost, low-impact, sustainable beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

BOOK NOW
B=beginners I=intermediate A=advanced E=event more

INTERNATIONAL
* The Bee-Friendly Zone
* Natural Beekeeping online course
* UK, USA and CA Swarm Catchers

UK
* UK Natural beekeeping courses
* UK Natural beekeeping events
* UK Plants database
* UK DEFRA advisory info

FREE HIVE PLANS
* Phil Chandler - hTBH
* John Vendy - hTBH
* Warre hive plans

Share |
natural beekeeping forum rss feedRSS

Follow forum on Twitter

Join the BeeAlert email list for advance notice of events, courses, etc.
Wyatt's new Top Bar book is out, a must read
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beekeeping Book and Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernie Farmboy
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Wyatt's new Top Bar book is out, a must read Reply with quote

I bought Wyatt Magnum’s new Top Bar book. Check into it at tbhsbywam.com
Pretty much didn’t put it down for 2 days and finished reading it. It is the most in-depth book I have read about Top Bar keeping.
Wyatt had a commercial pollination service with Top Bars and explains with excellent detail how he did it. The photos are great and he has a “two friends over a cup of coffee” way of writing. Just a note here, “Phil, I think you would really enjoy this book.”
It is a good book for anyone from the Beginner to the Master Top Bar’or.
Ernie
newwoman
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still not available in the UK
Quote:
Shipping to Other Places

At this point we are unable to ship to other locations outside the USA and Canada; we hope to add other shipping locations soon.

Pat
Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ordered, received and read the book. Well worth having! It is on his personal 25 years of experience with TBH's. I'm looking forward to his next book.
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hope of getting it here in Europe? I'd buy from a forum member here if they are up for it.
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out they added international shipping -for 30 dollars!! That would be a total of 75 dollars for the book! That is pretty steep. I can't understand how it would cost 30 dollars to ship one book outside the U.S. I've had books sent to me from the U.S several times and its never cost more than 10.

I would really really like to buy this book. But not for 75 dollars.
rene_p
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its $20 to Canada. I would like to order it but $65 makes it a little to expensise for my budget.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can get one in Denver. Entering Colorado airspace any minute now... wifi on a plane!
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biobee wrote:
I will see if I can get one in Denver. Entering Colorado airspace any minute now... wifi on a plane!

Wow lucky you! Have fun.
bullmouse
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Wyatt Mangum's book Reply with quote

My copy ordered from Stinging Drones Publications 29/10 arrived in the post 3/11. With consideration that there is only one place to buy this book even in the USA and the shipping delay, I had last minute idea 4/11 this might be an appreciated gift to place directly in your hands while in Colorado. So Godspeed, wish you a safe return journey home 5/11, and Happy Birthday as well, Phil.
200TBHs-WAM
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Shipping Cost on Wyatt's TBH book Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind comments on my top-bar hive book, which is good to see after 25 years leading to its publication. The book shipping costs have concerned me too. One needs to be careful with shipping comparisons. Everything depends critically on the details: package size, weight, designation, class, volume discounts, etc. And things have changed.

For shipping out of North America, there is no more surface mail (ships), which was slower and much cheaper. Now there is only airmail out of the USA, and the mailing options are limited. My TBH book is 421 pages, or almost 1 inch thick with a page size of 11 by 8.5 inches. It’s a big book. The book has over 350 color photographs. I went with a heavier paper because of the big color pictures to make sure the color ink would not bleed through. This made the book weight heavier, about 3 pounds and 5 ounces. With the very protective packaging for shipping, the package weight comes to 3 pounds and 6 ounces or about 1.53 kg. The package size is a little larger than the book.

For shipping I could not put the package in one of the preprinted flat rate envelopes, which would have been cheaper and a lot easier on me. I talked to many different postal clerks about trying to get this rate. I even found a preprinted envelope that fit perfectly. But the outside of the envelope did NOT have the correct rating CODE for the lower rate. Very frustrating. I wanted the least expensive rate possible because I do NOT want shipping cost to stop beekeepers from buying my book. Another option was the Express rate, which cost more the book. Another dead end. The shipping option in the middle was the First Class International, the one I am using.

When I figure all the shipping costs, like the international transfer fees, packing material, etc., the $30 shipping charge does not cover all my shipping cost. I lose about $1.20 per book. More than one person told me to charge more for shipping. But I did not go above $30 because the high shipping cost prevents people from buying the book. Exactly the complaint that has been posted twice on this page. The next coming problem is that the rates are supposed to increase next year.

If anyone finds a cheaper way to send this size and weight package out of the US to the countries listed on the book’s web page (at least some of them maybe), please let me know. I can recode the web page with the lower shipping. One group of beekeepers in Canada got five books shipped in a USA regional postal box with a much lower shipping. I am not sure that will work everywhere. But if requested, I will gladly check into it.

At heart, I am a beekeeper and bee scientist, starting at age of 10. Only within the past few months did I become a book shipper. But here is what I have learned, which is not too surprising. The LOW shipping costs that some folks have seen were probably in reality much more expensive that did not translate to the customer. Someone else paid (subsidized) those costs. Obviously, trucks and planes don’t move for free. And free shipping? Well, that just means someone else paid for it.

After 25 years of work leading up to this top-bar hive book, I want beekeepers to be able to buy the book without being burdened by shipping costs.

Kind Regards,
Wyatt Mangum/WAM
rene_p
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about selling an electronic version of the book?
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene_p wrote:
Have you thought about selling an electronic version of the book?

That would be most excellent.

A perfect solution to providing this book to the international public. Plus there would a massive saving on printing costs. And no loss on shipping.

I for one would definitely buy this. Considering I would have to pay 75 dollars - nearly 60 euro to order the book, I'd gladly pay any reasonable sum less than this and would recommend it gladly to friends.

Please consider this.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Wyatt - good to see you here!

I was presented with a copy of your book while I was in Denver, and it looks like it's going to be a great read. I look forward to giving it some time when I am over my jet-lag.

My suggestion for getting around the postage issue is to use a 'print on demand' publisher such as Lulu.com - this way, when someone orders the book it is printed and shipped locally, which reduces costs considerably. It also saves on the environmental costs of printing lin large numbers and shipping around the world.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.
200TBHs-WAM
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the above comments. For an electronic version of the TBH book, I might do that at some point. However, I have heard both good and troubling stories from my author friends who have done that with their books. So right now an electronic version is not high on my list compared to say putting more TBH information and pictures on my web site (tbhsbywam.com), which will supplement the book.

For the Lulu option, I looked into that early on, but my problem was with the quality of the print on demand (POD) of the digital printing. My TBH book, as produced now, is printed by offset printing with plates, the traditional high-quality way to print books. (The plates are recycled not saved.) For the color photographs in the book, it took a lot of time (years) and expense to get very sharp pictures, especially the close up pictures of the bee behavior (with semiprofessional photography equipment). Now here’s the problem. POD could ruin all that extra sharpness. For a photographer, even the suggestion of fuzzy pictures in his/her book is not acceptable. So I went with traditional book printing with plates. However, I hear POD is getting better so I think I should keep watching this option. I agree with Phil that POD is far kinder to the environment. POD would also save all the paper where I do the customs forms (4 duplicates) for every international book shipment. Also I might be able to get a distributor for the book in the UK at some point.

Phil, I am glad you got a copy of my book. Besides all the TBH info, check out the (motion-activated) game camera pictures, the ones showing wildlife in the apiaries at night (with infrared light). I think these pictures are a first for beekeeping books in general. It’s also a unique way to show one’s apiary is part of the ecosystem 24/7. I only used about 24 game camera pictures in the book (placed on the leftover pages at the end of the chapters). But I picked out those pictures from some 20,000 that I had at the time, most of which were “junk” because about any motion sets off the cameras. In all that junk were a few gems.

Thanks for letting me post.
Kind Regards,
Wyatt/WAM
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having ordered other things from USA in the past, experience tells me you also need to be wary of items being taxed when they arrive in this country and an added little extra that the Royal Mail have developed. This involves unpacking it, looking at it and packing it up again - at the recipient's expense! Then of course because there is money owing you have to troll down to the sorting office to collect it and pay the ransom!
I dont order anything from USA anymore.......
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here in Germany. You have to pay taxes on top of it ...of course based on the total amount for the item and shipping. Not just the price of the item itself.

Most important is to attach the invoice outside of the parcel. In an envelope or something. So they can tax it straight away. If that invoice is inside the package, not visible to the customs, there is a long-winded procedure to get to your book. Of course you have to pick it up at the customs office.

You even have to open up the package yourself - in a bomb proof room, with guards behind a thick bullet proof glass wall. Laughing Absurd...

Anyway, I ordered the book and I am happily awaiting it.

Bernhard
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200TBHs-WAM wrote:
So right now an electronic version is not high on my list compared to say putting more TBH information and pictures on my web site (tbhsbywam.com), which will supplement the book.

You're afraid of people pirating it? I doubt there would be the demand to encourage it.

I think it's an awful shame you are not considering e-book more seriously.
The simple fact is 75 dollars is too expensive for most people.

The reality is you will not reach an international audience/market with this book at the price as it is. The reasons ultimately don't matter to the consumer. They just want the book.
Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view $75.00 still makes the book a good buy. It's one of a kind with fantastic quality. 25 years of TBH experience packed into over 400 pages! Where else can this be found?
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret wrote:
In my view $75.00 still makes the book a good buy. It's one of a kind with fantastic quality. 25 years of TBH experience packed into over 400 pages! Where else can this be found?

Thats a fine sentiment for someone who can afford it.

Most people can't, or won't pay such a price.

I have no doubt its worth far more than 75, but reality is reality.
rene_p
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyD wrote:
Garret wrote:

Most people can't, or won't pay such a price.

I have no doubt its worth far more than 75, but reality is reality.

I feel the same way. Dont get me wrong. I love the feel of a good quality book and would probably really enjoy having this book. But I cant afford it. Its like scotch. I love a good scotch but its way to expensive to purchase so I have to settle for a good beer instead. In this case I would settle for an ebook.
Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other alternatives such as asking your local library if they can order the book in, as well as two or three people buy it jointly. Can your local bee club start its own library? All I'm saying is that there is excellent value with the book.

Quote:

It's best not to assume!
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret wrote:
There are other alternatives such as asking your local library if they can order the book in

I can just imagine the look I'd get if I asked my local library to order a 75 dollar book! Laughing (or my local bee club for that matter- especially given the subject content)

Garret wrote:

, as well as two or three people buy it jointly.

Yeah but who holds on to it? Anyone who buys this book is into topbar beekeeping and will obviously need it as a reference book. If this book is as good as it looks I wouldn't even lend it to my wife!!

Garret wrote:

It's best not to assume!

True, but am I wrong?
rene_p
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong however libraries in general dont purchase books unless there is an isbn number associated with it.
Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True, but am I wrong?

Yes! I knew Wyatt was putting a book together for some time and went with a few less beers putting that change away plus my TBH bees offered to help out with some of their extra honey.

One of the main things that attracted me to the TBH was the low cost compared to conventional hives. With all the savings through TBH's this in itself can easily pay for this great book.

I wonder how e-scotch would taste?
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret wrote:

Yes! I knew Wyatt was putting a book together for some time and went with a few less beers putting that change away plus my TBH bees offered to help out with some of their extra honey.

One of the main things that attracted me to the TBH was the low cost compared to conventional hives. With all the savings through TBH's this in itself can easily pay for this great book.

What you have just said there is that you could afford it. At the end of the day - you did afford it.

Enough said.

Garret wrote:

I wonder how e-scotch would taste?

Laughing
200TBHs-WAM
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: TBH Book custom forms and more Reply with quote

Dear Bernhard and Others,

Concerning your post about shipping my TBH book with custom forms, the Postmaster and I fill out the forms. Using a clear plastic pouch, she attaches the forms on the outside of the package. Then during the shipment, each authority can take a copy of the forms without opening the package. Inside the cardboard packaging, I also put the book in a heavy grade plastic bag, called a poly bag, to help keep it safe from moisture. Others have said the poly bag was not needed, but I still use them even though they are expensive to buy and to have shipped to me. I think that is the best I can do to keep authorities from unpacking the shipment.

Also the book has a ISBN number and a US Library of Congress Number.

By the way, the cost of bee books should be seen as an investment cost because they save money and time, which in beekeeping usually means seasons, that is, years. I still have all of my beekeeping books starting from the 1960’s so that by the 1970’s I had 125 frame hives, and I was producing honey by the ton. Not bad for a kid in high school. I learned most all of that from my beekeeping books, my investment brain trust.

I am not trying to convince the person with the other opinion of anything else. But other beekeepers will read this page and could be misled by the thinking, just reject a bee book because of its price. Being misled is not the spirit of these pages. And I am not going to explain my costs any more because the person with the other opinion says nobody cares about them, but that does not make those costs just go away.

Furthermore as a kid, even after I bought the contemporary bee books, I bought the old out-of-print ones that were really expensive, especially the ones on queen rearing from the old masters. I am still using the core of that information. Also those books told me what had been tried in beekeeping, looked good for a while, but failed in the end. Quite often I see the same or similar ideas again. If I rejected those old books based just on price, I might have been wasting money and time on another doomed or poorly thought out idea. Falling victim to the power of ignorance. Those old books, and the current ones in my library, saved me and the beekeepers I have helped over the decades a lot of money, time, frustration, not to mention helping save the lives of bees.

Also in my previous post, I said I am looking for an agent in the UK to distribute the books, but that might have been missed. Now people in the know have told me that I might have priced the book too low at $45, given its high quality. That might not make discounting to dealers work. I still want to make that work though.

Also in my previous post, I mentioned a USPS box, which is a Priority International Flat Rate Box. I see that to the UK it costs $47.95, $51 with insurance, but you can put up to 20 pounds in the box the US postal service supplies. For us, that would be up to 5 books, which fills their box. That shipping works out to about $10 per book, one third the cost of shipping a single book. USPS even supplies the shipping box, at no cost there, but I still pack each book in a poly bag described above. So if beekeepers in a club want to pool some orders, the way the Canadian beekeepers did, I could ship this way, having done it before. You can email me about that shipping at tbhbookqueries@gmail.com the same address as the contact form on the book’s web page.

Since I have respectfully said I am not trying to change the opinion of the other person, an opinion he has clearing stated, then let that stand. In closing, I want to mention something else concerning the book.

In a few days I will add a detailed web page on screen floor top-bar hives to my TBH site. I managed 100 of these hives and counted over 400,000 varroa mites on the sticky boards from them, an immense job I do not recommend. But I learned a lot about varroa populations and about miticide-resistant mites. The important results are in the book; this coming page is a big supplement to the book with extra information and pictures not in the book. I want to have numerous supplemental, very detailed, web pages extending the TBH content of the book past the introductory pages already on the site. The screen floor page, like an extra chapter to the book, has taken a long time to get together. That page will be linked to the main page at

tbhsbywam.com

Kind Regards,
Wyatt/WAM
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got a copy yet but having bought various specialist, i.e. not very high print run books in the past, I am almost certain the book is underpriced, enough so that I am considering buying it despite the shipping cost.

Interestingly, I know I am going back a few years but it used to be cheaper to import some psychotherapy books from America than buy them through bookshops here.
AnthonyD
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TBH Book custom forms and more Reply with quote

200TBHs-WAM wrote:

By the way, the cost of bee books should be seen as an investment cost because they save money and time, which in beekeeping usually means seasons, that is, years. I still have all of my beekeeping books starting from the 1960’s so that by the 1970’s I had 125 frame hives, and I was producing honey by the ton. Not bad for a kid in high school. I learned most all of that from my beekeeping books, my investment brain trust.

Very impressive. You were still in high school? wow.

200TBHs-WAM wrote:

I am not trying to convince the person with the other opinion of anything else. But other beekeepers will read this page and could be misled by the thinking, just reject a bee book because of its price. Being misled is not the spirit of these pages. And I am not going to explain my costs any more because the person with the other opinion says nobody cares about them, but that does not make those costs just go away.

I presume you are referring to me? You can call me by name you know -I don't bite. Wink

Firstly I am not misleading anybody. Secondly I never said 'nobody cares', please do not misquote me. Thirdly I am not giving an opinion.

Fact: The book costs 75 dollars for Europeans to buy.
Fact: I cannot afford that for one book, for a hobby. Most beekeepers I know cannot either and likely many others cannot. Many (including myself) cannot avail of your alternate option either.
Fact: I do not believe your book is too expensive.
Fact: The shipping is what ruins this opportunity for most people.

Now no hard feelings. I am not trying to ruin anything for you. I merely disappointed by the situation.

Cheers,
Anthony
Swing Swang
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick comments - maybe more later

Just received my copy of this book - well packaged - double wrapped in plastic and card - bashed heavily in transit - opened by customs - very minor 'bruising' to spine which is annoying but due to the abuse of the postal system and not the packaging - too trivial to complain about as for personal use, but would take this further if it was for a gift - despit being opened by customs did not incur any extra duty - 75USD equates to £49 all said and done when I ordered it - I am used to buying very expensive professional books (£95 as a student 25 years ago - ouch!) and I'd rather read Mangum - The book is heavy despite being paperback and the quality of the photos/paper etc is exactly as described - at first glance the style is very accessible with no 'worthy philosophical padding' - I may write more about the content later - he's not at the 'extreme' end of the top-bar spectrum - so no hint of biodynamics from what I can see for example - and it looks as though he is comfortable using ply from some of the photos/exterior housepaint/queen exluders etc - it's very much a personal account, but despite that considering that he's been trained in the scientific method (he's a PhD) I would have liked to have seen a bibliography at the very least - he's made a lot of observations over the years - eg logation of swarm/queen cells on the comb and had this been published references would have been nice (if there is a reference then I may have missed it - I literally have just skimmed through it).

IMO - a very good investment for a UK reader interested in the subject.
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also received my book today. Looks really great and I will take my time to read it thoroughly. Congratulations for writing and compiling such a book. I know how difficult that is and especially the pictures are great.

I might shoot a short video skimming through the book, if you don't mind, so that hesitating readers can decide to buy or not to buy. Is this OK for you?

I'll report.

Bernhard

PS: Might get into TBH finally. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beekeeping Book and Product Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: