friends of the bees

This forum is funded by
Friends of the Bees.
It is free to everyone, and we would appreciate a donation from those who can afford it so we can keep it free for those who cannot.

UK beekeepers join now and benefit from £5M Public Liability Insurance FREE with membership. JOIN HERE

Natural Beekeeping Forum
low-cost, low-impact, sustainable beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

BOOK NOW
B=beginners I=intermediate A=advanced E=event more

INTERNATIONAL
* The Bee-Friendly Zone
* Natural Beekeeping online course
* UK, USA and CA Swarm Catchers

UK
* UK Natural beekeeping courses
* UK Natural beekeeping events
* UK Plants database
* UK DEFRA advisory info

FREE HIVE PLANS
* Phil Chandler - hTBH
* John Vendy - hTBH
* Warre hive plans

Share |
natural beekeeping forum rss feedRSS

Follow forum on Twitter

Join the BeeAlert email list for advance notice of events, courses, etc.
Using all mediums and brood-chamber.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrspock
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Using all mediums and brood-chamber. Reply with quote

I asked a member of the (very traditional) local beekeeping club where I could get nucs in medium frames. Without saying it, he clearly thought I was crazy and grossly misinformed to want to go all-mediums.

I asked him to explain his concerns, and he said this: That by putting the queen in a medium instead of a deep, she would have a smaller space to lay brood in, and once out of space in the bottom super, would need to go to the one above, prematurely interrupting her work, and impacting efficiency of brood laying.

I'd be interested to hear the response of those here.

Thank you
spock out
beinggreenonline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am purposefully going to use all mediums for everything. I like the ability to be able to interchange everything.

When I received my first hive it was in a regular size brood box and had a small super on it. I realized quickly how much of a problem this was going to be so I built a medium super right away and replaces the small one.

From here on in I will be using mediums for everything.
greengecko
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by greengecko on Mon May 03, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
spenbroc
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Using all mediums and brood-chamber. Reply with quote

mrspock wrote:
I asked a member of the (very traditional) local beekeeping club where I could get nucs in medium frames.

beingbgreenonline wrote:
I am purposefully going to use all mediums for everything. I like the ability to be able to interchange everything.

This commercial beekeeper in Ireland does just what you both propose based on BS National Hive dimensions ....

Edited: Removed dead link.

Jon
hillhousehoney
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I switched to all mediums last year, for the same reasons already shared. However, this year I did stay with one deep for the brood chamber. I regress bees using Honey Super Cell, and would cut them down into mediums. I just could not bring myself to cut off that excess and throw it in a box anymore. It is too expensive. So I will leave that one deep, and consider it a part of the permanent brood chamber. The two mediums above it will also be for brood, but will leave the deep undisturbed. I do feel that using all mediums is a very good plan.

TW
Ivan
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your beekeeping advisor was repeating standard beekeeping doctrine but without much evidence to back up his view... unless of course he has tried and failed to use medium size brood boxes in the past

Yes the queen will have to stop laying for a few moments when she moves from frame to frame but whether this is really a significant interruption in colony build up seems unlikely in the greater scheme of things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: