Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
work on microbes - link to honey bee health!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee health: the treatment (or not) of bee pests and diseases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an idea on how deserted our landscape is - start to feed yourself (you as a human) only on what the landscapes and your garden gives you. Do not eat anything you bought.

I did this for many times, for periods of weeks and months. It really gets you thinking!

We have had three times more bee colonies 50 years ago in Germany. Three times! Today we can't feed the bees even while their population is a third of the population 50 years ago.

How serious the situation is, most people do not notice, because all their food gets trucked in. The day will come, where no trucks will come anymore.
quioui
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can agriculture be responsible for it? or its amplified version called the "Green Revolution"?
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How serious the situation is, most people do not notice, because all their food gets trucked in. The day will come, where no trucks will come anymore.

Hear hear!
But there are still few of us (more than few i hope) who will do their best to change this towards creating a healthy environment. I have found that most people desire the change but arent ready to face this huge issue. They need those who inspire, those who under no circumstance give up or loose hope.

As soon as we buy our small farm in Denmark i will begin the project of returning the earth back to health. At first it will be an Oasis for all insects in my area. It will then through my activism inspire others who resonate with this. It will inspire those whosminds are not totally lost in the labiryths of greed (profit above life).

I refuse to think that most of us are heartless. I will not rest until my local commune/county realise that change must come swift. Once that is achieved the government cant ignore the facts that change is possible and desired by the people and all forms of life.

And we dont need to wait for governments for a change. All we need is a compassionate community which can do it together.
Screw the government! I will send them a message that we dont need them.

I thought before that one needs lots of money to grow bee friendly flowers but this year I have learned from the bees that this isnt true Smile
My ladies showed me what wild flowers they prefer and I have been collecting those seeds until now. It is amazing how many seeds come from only one flower.

We need each other to make this happen. If alone one can only feel despair.
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selam aleikum quioui,

You are right. Both ways are bad in my opinion. There is no way we can find a sustainable solution with 97% of population relying for food from 3% farmers. There is no way they can produce food without damaging the eco-system.

We must support those who are willing to run small scale organic farms based on biodiverse agriculture. We myst start buying and eating local food. We must get the system and self-reliance in balance.
Simply, we need at least 30% of population to start farming in such sustainable way.

Once I get my farm running I will try to get at least 3-4 local families who are to buy food from us. Their kids will learn where the food comes from by picking it with their own hands. They will see bees pollinating those plants they eat.

We humans have a very gentle heart which is covered in our own mind garbage. That heart does resonate well with this idea but only reading books about it does not help. We must come in contact with very nature to become aware of this resonating heart we have.

Once we actually touch life with this heart of ours the healing tears will fall and the thought "how could I be so greedy and non-compassionate? I will be the change to light up the darkness!"will come up.

We can pull this off Smile

... Together!

Last edited by Che Guebuddha on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
quioui
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aleikum Selam Che (although I am not a muslim Smile)

I see you very optimistic Che! but there are millions of people in cities who want more of this artificial system. In my opinion this population balloon will not burst peacefully.
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this very short answer from the Symbeeotic crew:
Quote:
Hi Luc,
Regarding your questions you can read a lot about this on our homepage. In general we will say that everything that is not good for the bees is not god for the bacterias, as bad food, bad enviroment etc.
As it is today you can buy Symbeeotic within EU on internet at our homepage www.apicellae.se
Best regards
Kent Lörd

Not a lot, but I suppose it's all on their website... Lots to read.
I ordered 2 packages (for 6 hives) to give it a try.

Luc P. (BE)
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more bugs to live in the deep litter floor... Wink

http://www.niagarabeeway.com/bio-control-for-varroa-mite.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1NIAP_Ol4
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second video, I'm guessing that the 'SS' in HAM SS stands for Stratiolelaps scimitans - they certainly look like them.
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, HAM SS stands for: Hypoaspis Miles - Stratiolaelaps Scimitus
Hypoaspis miles is renamed Stratiolaelaps scimitus

They are already used in agriculture:
Stratiolaelaps are used primarily to control young larvae of fungus gnats in the soil or planting media. They also help control soil stages of thrips and may account for up to 30% of thrips control. They do not control shore flies or moth flies, but will feed on other soil organisms, such as springtails and root mealybugs. They have been used successfully in bedding and potted plant production, seedling and cutting propagation, and poinsettia stock. Stratiolaelaps adapt well to the various growth media and capillary mats used in plant production, but do not survive freezing of flooding conditions.
More here: http://www.evergreengrowers.com/stratiolaelaps-scimitus-womersley-hypoaspis.html

Luc P. (BE)
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI9Z73UAX-g
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gut microbial communities of social bees

Waldan K. Kwong & Nancy A. Moran
Nature Reviews Microbiology (2016) doi:10.1038/nrmicro.2016.43
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nrmicro.2016.43.html

Also see:
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/fig_tab/nrmicro.2016.43_F1.html
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/fig_tab/nrmicro.2016.43_F2.html
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/fig_tab/nrmicro.2016.43_F3.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee health: the treatment (or not) of bee pests and diseases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: