Friends of the Bees

Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Sac Brood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
00buzzbee
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Sac Brood Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I found Sac Brood in one of my hives after realising it was not building up as I would have expected for late Spring. I immediately contacted a friend who is an expert on anything to do with bees and after confirming Sac Brood he liaised with our local bee inspector who was going to get some anti-virus.

We were going to do a shook swarm into a nuc hive, close the entrance for four days to starve the bees and then feed sugar syrup containing the anti-virus where they would hopefully get cured. My friend has not come up with the anti-virus and I have now found out he is not well and will be going into hospital next week.

I have been checking on the infected hive regularly as there is an inspection window in that hive and last week I saw a couple of wasps in the hive. My immediate concern was robbing from my other two hives so I took the heart wrenching decision to destroy the infected bees and burn everything left inside the hive. I'm almost certain the bees in the hive next to the infected hive have been robbing as there were bees flying around the blocked entrances of the infected hive the next day so they may also contract the virus although there are no visible signs as yet.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear both about your friend not being well and the hard decision you made to destroy the colony. My gut feeling is that these viruses are in the environment anyway and a strong healthy colony will be much less likely to become infected, so I would not personally be overly concerned. A low level of disease occurs in many hives.... Deformed Wing Virus, Chalk Brood etc, but does not mean the colony is doomed. The action you have taken to prevent the spread is probably the most you could do with the weak colony you had.
I would not stress your other colonies by opening and inspecting them for a few weeks as that will make them more susceptible but otherwise, the best you can do is try not to worry.
Good luck.... I don't think you will need it though!
00buzzbee
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara.

I can keep an eye on them as they all have open mesh floors and when the dead brood are thrown out of the cells they come through the floors onto the floorboard.

On a slightly different subject, I have just had a look in a hive housing a swarm I caught over Easter. They were very small and you might remember the queen did not come into lay until five weeks after. They are still quite small but doing fine and to my astonishment they have produced about four supersedure queen cells. Do you think they will replace the existing queen? I think they are too small to swarm again.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the brood pattern like? Is there any drone brood?
It sounds like there may be some problem with the queen bearing in mind the time it took to come into lay and they are probably looking to replace her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Ask a Bee Inspector All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: